Sandbox Tree, Spring Gardens, Antigua
The “Sandbox Tree” still grows at Spring Gardens, although the original buildings of the Moravian Mission are gone. This photograph was taken at Christmas 2011 by Margot Maddison-Macfadyen.
Spring Gardens Mission, Antigua
This image is of Spring Gardens Moravian Mission at St. John's, Antigua. it is by Johann Heinrich Stobwafser, the son of a Moravian minister stationed at Spring Gardens, and it is based on Johann's time at Spring Gardens circa 1822. Mary Prince was a member of the Spring Gardens congregation by 1819. The image is provided courtesy of John Carter Brown Library at Brown University.
Sandbox Tree Plaque, Spring Gardens, Antigua
The first Moravian missionary couple to arrive at Antigua were Samuel and Molly Isles. They arrived in 1756. The first chapel—a small hut—was built nearby the "Sandbox Tree" in 1761. By 1775, a proper chapel was built. The mission was thriving when Mary joined the congregation, which, at the latest, was in 1819.